RE: Possible IDS-evasion technique

From: Gary Golomb (gee_twoat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 12:54:50 PST

    Hi there all...

    Probably just problem with the way RealSecure is/was (I'm sure this doesn't happen in newer
    versions) looking for that particular string. I would imagine they are not making decisions based
    on user-supplied HTTP versions. (Then again, this is begins to tread on the 'ol debate of how
    protocol decoding should be used in ID. False Positives vs. False Negatives and the inverse
    relationship between reducing one and increasing the other...) Not the point of this
    thread or list though, so I'll shut-up there before the holy war freedom fighters get all
    excited...

    Could the second two tests not trigger the same event the first two do (but still trigger a event
    that is not configured to send resets?). Just a thought - I'm not familar with RealSecure...

    Anyway, verified with Dragon:

    [g@none ]# nc 10.100.100.111 80
    GET /cgi-bin/phf HTTP/0.9

    HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found