Re: ls bug.

From: Crist J. Clark (crist.clarkat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 00:19:04 PST

    On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 04:04:34PM +0200, Ehud Tenenbaum wrote:
    > Hey again...
    >
    > Well no point to flame someone for making a mistake
    > no big deal we are sorry for posting this ls bug which is not a bug.

    Yes. There is a point. If you are not sure you have a security bug,
    feel free to post questions about _potential_ issues on this list; it
    is within the charter. Someone who asks, "Hey, is this a bug? Why does
    this happen?" would get much nicer treatment than a "Security Team"
    that makes an announcement about security bugs they have found when they
    really just don't have a basic understanding of how shell expansions
    work.

    The signal-to-noise ration out there is already low enough. The
    security community does not need people posting bogus alerts whenever
    someone sees behavior they do not understand.

    > Petrus : 2 ways to delete -ls ? well here is one rm -rf /full/path/-ls
    > second one
    >         rm -rf ./-ls  :P

    Or,

      rm -- -ls

    This is handy for your "bug." You can do,

      ls -- *

    And not worry about what flags '*' may expand to.
    --
    Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclarkat_private
    http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjcat_private