Re: The Cleaner reports WinPCap contains WinRAT trojan

From: Gideon Lenkey (glenkey@infotech-nj.com)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 10:07:17 PST

    I'm going out on a limb on this one. I don't use WinPCap (or Windows much
    for that matter), but if you downloaded multiple versions from the
    vendors' site and they all report having the same 'trojan' it is probably
    a false positive detect. Especially since no other products found it.

    If WinPCap offers a hash checksum, use it to confirm you have downloaded
    what the vendor packaged. Also, take a walk up the whole stack of the
    machine running WinPCap, and see if anything you don't know about is open
    for business. If it's not, then the 'WinRAT', if it's there, is certainly
    not talking to anyone... yet.. :)

    --Gideon

    * PGP Key ID 0x92556BEC * pgp.mit.edu      *