Firewall-1 and ISA D.o.S.

From: overclocking_a_la_abuelaat_private
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 07:18:13 PST

    Hi,

    last year I reported a denial of service to
    Firewall-1 : flooding on port 264 ( fw1_topo ).
    Check Point was not able to reproduce this attack
    so they never recognise it as a real problem. Now,
    many security concerned sites have this behaviour
    in their firewalls bug lists.
    You can stop this attack if you manually create
    all the rules and limit the acces to this port (
    264 ) only to clients that need it. But there was
    a special situation : a firewall that accepts
    connections to fw1_topo with ANY as source to
    allow Securemote connections with a dinamic IP
    address...
    For this D.o.S. to success you needed a fast link
    so the  only real scenario was to attack from the
    internal network.
    Probably, too many requisites needed,...OK.

    So, what If I am an external attacker ?
    I can build a trojan and mail it to some internal
    user of the target network. The trojan will send
    packets to some external IP, to force them to pass
    trough the Firewall-1. This time, we do not need
    to know the Firewall IP , we only send a lot of
    packets to port 80 with the SYN flag. Simply, rude
    but effective. My tests always finish with the
    firewall completely frozen.
    The firewall machine is a Professional Win2000,
    PII 350 with 320 MB. Link is a 10 MB ethernet.
    The software used is ippacket. Now the packet we
    build is :

    -source : valid internal IP ( does not matter )
    -dest     : external IP
    -source port : 10000 ( does not matter )
    -dest port :  80 ( probably the firewall rules
    accept it )
    -flags    : SYN
    -mode   : -1  ( continuous mode )

    In the case of  Microsoft ISA Server I have been
    trying some types of packets to flood it, and the
    one it seems to frooze the firewall is this ( land
    ):

    -source : internal ISA IP
    -dest : internal ISA IP
    -source port : 8080
    -dest port : 8080
    -flags : SYN
    -mode : -1 ( continuous mode )

    And the ISA stops responding : clients will not be
    able to surf the web, ISA machine does not
    respond ( CRTL + ALT + SUP  does not work ), ...
    This tests has been done with an ISA configured
    with http proxy on port 8080 on a Win2000 Server.

    Generally, I think is not difficult to smash a
    firewall if you are on the local network. You only
    have to find  wich packets will force  the
    forwarding/filtering device to work hard : if the
    firewall uses proxies, some kind of
    authentication, some statefull inspection, etc,
    then it is an easy job. Now, it seems that old
    packet filters are more efective on defending this
    attacks, since they do not do a deep inspect...

    So, is this a general flaw on modern firewalls ?
    Are they unable to manage large ammount of
    connections requests ?
    Bad guys are not only in the wild, they can be in
    your network, or they can begin an attack from
    your internal network with a trojan.
    Please I would agree some feedback.

    Hugo Vázquez Caramés
    Security Consultant