RE: Firewall-1 and ISA D.o.S.

From: Dom De Vitto (Domat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 15:27:17 PST

     |Hi Dom,
     |
     |I know that you can increase the connections
     |managed by the kernel of FW-1, I will increase it to
     |50.000 ( some time ago CheckPoint said to me that it
     |was the limit... ), but I think the problem is not on that
     |feature. When I send packets , I send always the
     |same packet ( same source port, same dest port,
     |same source address, same dest address , same
     |sequence number, ... ) so , do you think FW-1 tracks
     |every packet received as a new connection, or it only
     |refresh it state table as there was only one
     |connection ?
    Wow, then that's a bug, as "duplicates" should be dropped.

     |Moreover, ippacket generates packets at a very high
     |rate, and I do not believe FW-1 ( and many other
     |firewalls ) is able to manage this flood of SYN
     |requests.
    Yep, some firewalls don't even do wire speed, and many can't
    cope when it's all small packets.

     |"RTFM" ---> Yes, I read it loooong time ago, ... have
     |you at least tried to apply the D.o.S. that I describe ?

    No need, on a Pix I've seen it hang because of a single Nimda'd
    box! When you limit the connection table size, down to a single
    host, then resource exhaustion just freezes comms for that host
    for a little while.  I don't think you can do it for a CPK box,
    which is a design feature (fully-shared vs. allocated table space)
    - somewhere in between would be nice.

    Sorry for the comment, it's was a long day, and your points
    seemed (fairly) obvious.  Of course, if duplicate packets are
    causing a problem, then that's a big bug.

    Dom