RE: eeye.com insecurities

From: Marc Maiffret (marcat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 14:31:26 PST

    The information posted about the forums on eeye.com is false.

    Lets examine....

    http://www.eeye.com/~apps/modules/Forum/threads.asp?cat=t.0326.192953.39
    9014&filter='90

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
    Type mismatch: 'CLng'
    /~apps/modules/Forum/threads.asp, line 13

    CLng is a Visual Basic function that converts a string to a subtype Long.
    The ' character within "'90" causes that conversion to fail and therefore
    you get the above error from VB. There is no programs or modules or anything
    failing. Just that single ASP script, that someone specifically passes wrong
    arguments to, fails. However, that affects nothing. The ' has nothing to do,
    in this case, with any SQL injection etc...

    http://www.eeye.com/~apps/modules/Forum/threads.asp?
    cat=t.0326.192953.399014&filter=90909090909090909090909090909909090

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'
    Overflow: 'CLng'
    /~apps/modules/Forum/threads.asp, line 13

    This next one is not a buffer overflow or anything of that nature. When the
    multiple 90's go through the CLng conversion the conversion fails because
    the number sent is bigger than Long can store. Once again, there is no
    exploit or vulnerability here. Nor does this cause anything to crash on our
    server. Nor is there any SQL injection problem here.

    Also there is no information leak. Well unless someone thinks that getting
    the virtual path to threads.asp (/apps/modules/Forum/threads.asp) is an
    information leak... In which case maybe you should be educated on your web
    browsers powerful View Source functionality which can give you the same
    information.

    Thank you for making my brain hurt on my day off, please drive through.

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Chief Hacking Officer
    eEye Digital Security