Re: Rather large MSIE-hole

From: Slow2Show (sl2shoat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 16:04:20 PST

    >Another thought... will this bug run an executable
    >from a web page? If so you could just make your
    >own binary to do whatever you wanted. Like
    >http://mysiteathome.com/malware.exe or something
    >along those lines. I would HOPE that it asks to save
    >the file to disk or even better ignore it all together.

    tested on XPPro, IE6 latest patches
    here are my original ActiveX medium settings::
    dl signed activex=prompt
    dl unsigned activex=disable
    init & script unsafe controls=disable
    run activeX=enable
    init & script safe controls=enable

    if you use 'http://mysiteathome.com/malware.exe'
    you get an error stating 'your current security settings
    prohibit running activex...etc.'

    if you use 'www.mysiteathome.com/malware.exe' it
    just doesn't work period

    I then changed to these low settings::

    dl signed activex=enable
    dl unsigned activex=prompt
    init & script unsafe controls=prompt
    run activeX=enable
    init & script safe controls=enable

    and I was then prompted if I would like to install and
    run the exe file

    so that is good...even on the lowest security setting it
    doesn't work BUT...if you change dl unsigned
    activex=enable then IE6 will run code from another
    webserver on the local machine!!!!

    lata,

    -Slow2Show-
    University of Florida