Re: Firewall and IDS, (the second way).

From: Michel Arboi (arboiat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 08:54:14 PST

     --- sekureat_private a écrit :
    > I'm "walking" by the internet finding about paper/techniques that can
    > be used to detect systemn with IDS installed. Try to detect
    > snort/snort+aide/quinds/.../ somebody know something like it ??

    Some commercial IDS use special a special Ethernet device that is
    supposed to be invisible.
    If the IDS is not set up to react to attacks, you will probably never
    see it. If it reacts, e.g. but cutting TCP connections, I suppose there
    is a way to detect it as the behaviour of the target machine will look
    odd (e.g. connections run fine until you send something that matches
    the IDS signature, and you lose them)

    > And "how to outline a firewall" ... techinique to try bypass rules of
    > a firewall ... or dribble ?

    For IP filters, have a look at the firewalk tool.