Mildly useful tool.

From: Kayne Ian (Softlab) (Ian.Kayneat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 02:18:25 PDT

    Lo all,
    	If you remember back a while ago, there was a thread about
    Kazaa/spyware type stuff. As a result, I offered to write a little tool that
    would lock files and prevent spyware from being installed etc. That tool is
    now kind of almost finished, so I decided to post a link and wait for bug
    reports. Link: http://www.32bits.co.uk/prods/dlock. That page is slightly
    outdated, but gives a rough overview. I'll finish it when the tool is
    finished.

    	DLock will watch your filesystem for specific files, and alert you
    if they appear (virus, spyware, copy and paste, whatever). It does this
    under idle processing, so it's pretty CPU efficient. Second, it will watch
    for changes to existing files/folders (copy, rename, delete, security
    changes etc), and tell you. Finally it will also exlcusive lock files to
    prevent any access to them, a feature I wrote a while back but would
    probably be pretty useful if you wanted to cause trouble and lock GPO files
    as per the recent MS advisory. All of this is pretty CPU efficient &
    multithreaded written in C++, in case you're bothered. It's only been tested
    on an Athlon 1gig 384meg Win2k SP2. It should work on NT & XP, but probably
    will fall over in a massive heap under Win9x. Feedback of the "it works on
    WinXP - great tool", "please add this feature", or "I don't like it because"
    kind is much appreciated, but please don't bother with "why would I care
    about this". If you're not interested, don't look! Excuse the
    less-than-sterling coding skills.

    Cheers,

    Ian Kayne
    <Personal email, this email, site and tool have no affiliation to my
    employer whatsoever>

    ** Softlab presented with the exclusive EMEA Partner award for their
    continued success in the implementation of Genesys'
    most complex and demanding solutions in Europe. **

    For further information please see the Softlab website www.softlab.co.uk

    they are addressed.

    If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
    delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
    this email in error and that any use of the information contained within
    this email or attachments is strictly prohibited.

    Internet communications are not secure and Softlab does not accept
    any legal responsibility for the content of this message. Any opinions
    expressed in the email are those of the individual and not necessarily
    those of the Company.

    If you have received this email in error, or if you are concerned with
    the content of this email please notify the IT helpdesk by telephone
    on +44 (0)121 788 5480.