Re: Cross site scripting in almost every mayor website

From: FozZy (fozzyat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 10:36:51 PDT

    Hello,

    Right, all credits go to you, of course.
    I thought it was written on Berend-Jan's site.

    I think it is interesting to discuss the disclosure policy in this particular case. This flaw affects almost every webmail, not only "big" ones. A lot of people in different countries use small webmails embedded in "national" web portals. There are hundreds of them, and obviously it is impossible not to forget a site. Not to mention the time spent trying to find the right contact for each one company.
    So there are two possibilities : contacting only the "big" companies and wait for them to patch (during this time the other webmails are at risk but they don't know about it) or going public directly (small companies can apply a patch at the same time as big ones, no discrimination, but more users at risk during a small amount of time). This apply also to other situations, in my opinion it's like when you discover a new exploitation technic breaking many systems (timing analysis...) you send it to Microsoft before going public.

    What is best ?

    I apologize if the same kind of problem was discussed before on the mailing-list.

    Regards,

    FozZy

    Hackademy / Hackerz Voice
    http://www.dmpfrance.com/inted.html