Re: The Hazard of using 'printer friendly' functions on commercial sites

From: Tim Morgan (tmorgan-securityat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 17:10:55 PDT

    > A possible workaround is to check the referrer. If it is not empty (link
    > sent by mail,...) or does not come from your web, just link to the normal
    > page (with the ads ;-) )

    This would work for some browsers, but if I were to use one that refused
    to send referrers, then I would never be able to use the
    printer-friendly version.  In addition, if I felt like being tricky, I
    could always set up a proxy or something that tacked on a referrer to
    that site.  (If i really wanted to go to the trouble for such a petty thing.)

    Mainly I just want to be sure people understand that referrer can't be
    relied upon for much.  Certainly not for any security.  This horse has
    probably been beat past death already though.  For this application, since
    it doesn't really matter much, then it might be feasible.

    tim