Re: Buffer overflow or overrun?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 17:53:27 PDT

    On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:35:24 CDT, Tina Bird said:

    > I've certainly had a lot of students get confused about
    > the whole issue, and use "authentification" to combine
    > both assigning an identifier to a person, and validating
    > that a person has the right to use a particular identifier.

    Identifying a specific entity as being itself and not an impostor
    is "authentication".  Deciding whether said entity is allowed to
    perform a requested action is "authorization".  The two are quite
    distinct, even though many people confuse the two.

    I came up with the following example of the vast difference:

    Authentication: "OK.. you have a picture ID that say you're Jeffrey Dahmer(*)".

    Authorization: "Can I lend you a steak knife, Mr Dahmer?".

    Grisly, but 100% effective in explaining the distinction. (Yes, you can
    use it, as long as you attribute it. ;)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    (*) For the non-US list members - Jeffrey Dahmer was a rather nasty
    serial killer and cannibal....