Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: El C0chin0 (mr.nastyat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 13:14:13 PDT

    My .02 cents;

    I'm not here to tout any specific legal knowledge, hacker
    expertise, or
    I know what to do banter.  The first thing to do is to
    notify the
    company of the vulnerability as stated earlier.  It is
    their
    responsibility to their customers to protect their
    purchases.  If the
    company does nothing within a reasonable time frame (and
    this is
    equalivant to approx 5 working days) then it is fare game
    for the press.

    I've read somewhere after the DDOS attacks in 1999, that
    the Justice
    Department was considering allowing a liability suite
    against
    individuals/companies who don't take the necessary security
    measures.  I
    think this would be one such case where not only are the
    credit card
    numbers transferred in the clear but also certain privacy
    issues may
    arise.  Release of phone number, address, item purchased
    etc.

    I have notified BB and HomeDepot from their web site.  I
    don't know if
    they will do anything.  They have been notified now all we
    can do is sit
    and wait.  Then the lawsuits.  Then the store closures.
    Then John
    Ashcroft blames the economy, then we can all run in and
    ransack BB and
    take advantage of all the great sales.    [;-)]

    Frank Kenisky IV, CISSP