RE: SECURITY CAMERA WAR DRIVING

From: Mike Smith (msmithat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 20:35:06 PDT

    Have you actually tried this device, or are you just going by the vendor's sales hype?

    "I have the R3, it sucks for receiving anything in the gigahertz band, including X10. The LCD screen is nice (but eats batteries). But the receiver only gets 3 of the 4 X10 frequencies, and is stone deaf above 2Ghz. Skip this product."
    -- "Nonesuch", Netstumbler forum

    "Sadly there are many weaknesses in the product, these include... limited video support outside of the TV range... In short the ICOM IC-R3 is an AUDIO receiver with the bonus of broadcast TV video, it is NOT a video scanner."
    -- Review, http://www.dis.org/radio/radios/ic-r3/

    "Now, while the TV tuner does a good job for broadcast TV stations, I haven't been able to successfully tune any ATV signals. And it seems that quite a few others are in the same boat!"
    -- Review, http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=recv&num=037

    "...the IC-R3 is VERY DEAF at 2.4GHz."
    http://www.g6lvb.com/icr3mod.htm

    Bottom line, it does not sound like this device is what you'd want for video wardriving.