RE: Fwd: Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Vachon, Scott (Scott.Vachonat_private)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 08:53:38 PDT

    >Since this is in fact vuln-dev, does anyone have any experince with these
    >devices?  Instantly everyone blames the retail store, but how do we know
    >thoes silly little barcode scanners and such even support anything other
    >than a wide open network?  Think back to all the stupid things you have
    >heard of vendors doing in the past...

    A company called Symbol seems to be the leader with Wireless barcode
    scanners. While they claim to use Frequency hopping and/or DSSS, they do not
    claim explicitly to use encryption with them. Anyone use these ? They also
    provide wireless POS systems . Again, I did not see specific references on
    the site to encryption for the wireless POS. The link is: www.symbol.com if
    anyone has more available time to pursue it...

    ~S~

    Disclaimer: My own 2 cents.