RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Paul Kierstead (paul.kiersteadat_private)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 10:26:32 PDT

    >I  suspect there must have been something to the claims made.
    Otherwise we might well have seen Best Buy defend >their secuirty
    integrity with wireless, and not just close down the toys <smile>.

    I think this is not a valid conclusion. The perception of a problem --
    rightly or wrongly -- is now there so the perception of a solution must
    also be there. Even if the claims were absolutely false, BB would
    probably be better off taking everything off-line, making a few
    adjustments (hopefully improvements) and declaring "we take our
    customers privacy seriously, so we have implemented the following...".
    Denials wouldn't be believed by most.

    Paul Kierstead
    Senior Security Researcher, Alcatel R&I Security Group