RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Matthew Leeds (mleedsat_private)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 11:02:57 PDT

    It turns out that Best Buy has confirmed the possibility of a risk:

    >Laurie Bauer, a Best Buy spokeswoman, said security officials ``were aware of the possibility'' and decided to suspend the wireless registers after the posting. She confirmed that credit card numbers were among the data potentially sent through the wireless system.

    See the full story, an AP wire item picked up nationally at:

    http://wire.ap.org/APnews/main.html?PACKAGEID=BIZwireless&SLUG=WIRELESS-INSECURITY

    This may be the first public confirmation of a possible risk presented by a non-anon person. Doesn't excuse the earlier press coverage which lacked such a confirmation. My issue is with the press handling of this and many other earlier 'security' stories.

    ---Matthew