RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Peter Gutmann (pgut001at_private)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 22:23:54 PDT

    Ron DuFresne <dufresneat_private> writes:

    >I think it does a disservice to the info-sec community to have people tasked
    >as 'security' aware administrators constantly doing thes rollouts and
    >constantly turning to the term VPN as a way to expand their security perimiter
    >and policy compliance outwards from the corporate boundries to the homes of
    >endusers and their cars on the road without a full understanding of what they
    >are doing to the defensive perimiters and security policies they are trusted
    >to maintain.

    In my experience the admins frequently are well aware that the VPNs-everywhere
    approach is unsound, but are overruled by management or accountants.  Those who
    persist in raising concerns are labelled as troublemakers/non-team-players, and
    sidelined in future decision-making.  Scare stories of this kind, while
    unfortunate, may be one of the few ways of getting through to management.

    Peter.