RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Matthew Leeds (mleedsat_private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 10:17:11 PDT

    If the corporate image is so important (and I certainly believe it is), then how companies deal with security, how companies implement and prioritize security, how they respond to security concerns, all these and more are part of the analysis that admins must perform as they present a cost/benefit discussion that deals with each and every new system (and existing systems). Raising the level of awareness of the total cost of ownership, the total cost of a security breach, the total risk of such a breach, all this and more is the responsibility of whomever has ownership of the IT vision within a company. It's important to understand that today, security risks undertaken by an organization may/will come to light under the scrutiny of the public/press at some future time, and that there are costs with respect to taking those risks.

    This overflows into other areas of organization behavior. Organizations that choose to engage in risky behavior, whether with respect to IT security, or in other areas, find that the equation of risk/reward is shifting, as increased public/press scrutiny is applied. What were the long term effect of the Bhopal accident to Union Carbide, the Exxon Valdez oil spill to Exxon, of the Enron scandal? How has public behavior towards these organizations changed as a result of their willingness to engage in risky behavior? Unless and until there is a consequence, unless and until the public at large acts, you are likely to see the inertia of large organizations continue, with short-term cost/benefit analysis instead of long-term analysis being the norm.

    ---Matthew