Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 11:15:34 PDT

    Tim,

    Between you, me, and the fence post...

    >   1) Recommended. Go for it and publish the IP's and
    > let the "Gods of IP"
    >   sort out the damage.
    >   2) A Bad Thing. These are innocent victims, and
    > you will just have them be
    >   attacked by evil people.
    >   3) Boring. Who cares? It's Nimda, and an everyday
    > part of life. Deal with
    >   it and ignore the logs.
    >
    >   If "1," then I was thinking of going with a "Hall
    > of Shame" and providing
    >   ARIN look ups, contacts, and the whole bit. I
    > could even allow other
    >   people to post logs there and stuff like that...

    I'll put in my vote for 3.

    I don't think that 2 applies...clueless victim, yes,
    but innocent...no.  I think a lot of people are
    confused that if they follow on method of installing
    patch rollups, they won't necessarily get the dir
    transversal patch.

    Things like posting this info, along with the ARIN
    info, will lead to problems.  Not only is it going to
    be work intensive, but how do you propose verifying
    the info?  What's to prevent someone from forging logs
    showing their competitor having Nimda, and then having
    a large portion of the folks who monitor your site
    arbitrarily block those IPs?

    Remember what the Attrition guys talked about at last
    year's Blackhat?  They thought they were providing a
    service, and things changed as they progressed.

    If one particular IP is being a problem, let them
    know.  I did that recently...found out that the system
    in question was the admin's workstation.  I have no
    idea why the admin is running IIS, or allowing an
    infected system (he knew he had Nimda) to remain
    connected to the Net for so long...but the scans
    weren't successful, and didn't consume enormous
    amounts of bandwidth.

    Of course, some have put forth the idea of hacking
    into the box and shutting it down yourself...something
    I don't recommend.