Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Erik Fichtner (techsat_private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 16:44:50 PDT

    On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:53:13PM -0700, RSnake wrote:
    > If telling them isn't working, tell their upstream.
    > Get it patched, don't advertize the attacks to the world.

    Obviously you haven't been reporting much in the way of Nimda scanning.

    Most upstreams don't care.

    I'd have to vote for not publishing the list of machines.   Go with
    something like Earlybird. (though, please, for the love of all things
    holy, don't use something that sends an email *every damn time*
    cmd.exe is attempted.. That's impolite.)

    If they don't fix it by the third time you see them, blackhole the IP
    forever.

    It's really a shame we can't BGP RBL [1] all these /32's out of existence
    without completely collapsing BGP in the process. :/    There really
    needs to be some kind of global-Internet-death-penalty for hosts with
    systemic, long-term security problems caused by admins that can't or
    won't care otherwise.  (though, if you ask me, any netblock with an
    unresponsive administration staff should be completely blackholed.
    Just dump the AS on the floor until they get a clue *and keep it*.
    It's acceptable to have security problems these days, everyone has one
    eventually, but systemic problems caused by ISPs that are unwilling
    to step up and put an end to their security problems on a per-customer
    basis should not be allowed to route. period.  okay.  End rant. )

    [1] or other actually technically feasable process, whatever it may be.

    --
                            Erik Fichtner; Unix Ronin
                        http://www.obfuscation.org/techs/