RE: whois tricks was : Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Steve Zenone (Zenoneat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 11:31:14 PDT

    Hello,

    Matthew McGehrin wrote:
    |On FreeBSD you can use the -a flag with the same results. Linux still uses
    |the older format.
    |
    |i.e.: whois -a 204.70.128.1

    The '-a' and '-h' flags do work well. However, the following
    syntax appears to be fairly standard between whois versions,
    thus eliminating the need to remember which flag to use, and
    to also give you the ability to define the whois server you
    wish to query:

     % whois 204.70.128.1at_private

    You can substitute 'arin' with 'ripe' or 'apnic', etc (^arin^ripe).
    The results will me similar to what Matthew listed within his
    previous email.

    From a web perspective, I also like (takes the guess work,
    or leg work, out of figuring out if one should be using, ripe,
    apnic, etc):

     http://www.geektools.com/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi

    Lastly, for helping confirm abuse contacts, abuse.net has a
    good database of registered abuse contacts (based upond domain
    name) at:

     http://www.abuse.net/lookup.phtml

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,