Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Clinton Smith (securityat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 17:22:25 PDT

    brossiniat_private wrote:

    > I agree, these machines NEED to be cleaned and secured, OR removed from the
    > network.

    In a perfect world Microsoft , Apache etc could include a feature into their
    webservers that (via the exploit) produced a "net send" command to be run on the
    infected system telling them to patch up.

    eg.
    infected system requests dodgy URL eg:      GET /scripts/root.exe?/c+dir
    the system then responds by requesting a net send command to the Administrator.
    (it might even be possible to do it via a URL rewriting/redirection rule)

    no - this will not fix all of the problems
    yes - it is probably illegal - or at the least very grey.

    an alternative to the above and public disclosure of infected systems would be to log to a
    communal cgi / database at Microsoft - as it is they who has gifted the world with
    this issue. After the addresses have been collected - let them take an active role in
    eradicating this menace.

    something like... (for apache)

    <Location /scripts/root.exe*>
        Deny from all
        ErrorDocument 403 http://abuse.microsoft.com/iis_abuse_log.cgi
    </Location>

    I look at this problem as the computer equivalent of smallpox - without cooperation
    and some big backers - there is little hope of defeating it in sporadic and isolated attempts.

    Clinton