Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Jordan Frank (jfrankaat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 14:59:50 PDT

    What's next? I propose we start publishing lists of every host that hits a
    webserver and sends a browser string with ".NET" in it. Then when the .NET
    worms start running rampant we're prepared and we can have some idea of what
    kind of potential threat we're facing. In fact, maybe we should write some
    scripts to portscan any host that sends a ".NET" browser string to check up
    on things like the UPNP bugs and whatnot. In fact, why not just create a big
    public database that has every single host with a static IP, what ports they
    have open, what services they're running, their OS, and other useful
    information. Besides, if they connect to your webserver and perform such
    malicious actions as sending a GET request, then they shouldn't have any
    expectations of privacy, right?

    It's funny hearing the same people argue that web-bugs that track people's
    browsing habits are huge invasions of privacy, while suggesting that we make
    public lists of people who issue certain GET requests. Maybe we need an RFC
    that would let us all know exactly what line we have to cross in order to
    throw away all our rights, and become "bad enough" that our information
    should be made public. What expectations of privacy we should have based on
    the types of HTTP requests we issue. For example, "Information that is
    willingly submitted to a webserver by a user cannot be shared without
    properly informing and warning the user, while information that is submitted
    due to a host being infected by a virus or worm can be made public without
    the sender being warning", or "Any information submitted to a webserver that
    could possibly be used to enumerate hosts that are running software that is
    deemed 'malware' by the general public can be made public without the sender
    being warned". Something to that effect. There should be general agreed-upon
    rules for this kind of behaviour, instead of going on a case-by-case basis.
    Just a thought.

    In addition to all this, I have a legal question. Probably the wrong forum,
    because it seems that most legal questions posed on this list are answered
    by people with no legal background who make educated guesses, but here goes.
    It is my understanding that, at least in Canada and the United States, there
    are laws addressing the issue of monitoring private conversations and making
    the contents of such conversations public. Are any of these laws directly
    applicable to the situation we're discussing.

    I know that this thread has gone on for quite some time, but I hope my
    comments and questions will sway the general contents of this thread away
    from the "Yes list good"/"No list bad" conversation that we're all probably
    sick of by now. To the person who got this thread started I have a few
    comments. Please don't go ahead with your "project" without carefully
    picking the brain of a good lawyer. Maybe even a couple of lawyers. Don't
    proceed based on "the suggestions of the posters", where "> 90%" of the
    "posters" are really a bunch of pissed off administrators who would love to
    see something like this implemented on a wide scale, as long as someone else
    does it and they're not putting themselves or their networks at risk.

    jordan
    young naïve student
    jfrankaat_private

    PS: What happens if I'm tricked into clicking on a seemingly innocent link
    that in fact sends a GET request matching the one sent out by NIMDA infected
    hosts. Is that reason enough for you to then post all of my information to
    some public list of 'evildoers'? How do you know that every NIMDA probe is
    in fact malicious. If I send a NIMDA probe to your Apache webserver then
    there's absolutely no threat whatsoever, so can you call that a malicious
    probe? What if JordanOS v0.1's IP Stack was flawed in such a way that an
    ICMP ECHO request would cause the whole OS to crash. Would it be fair to
    then label every ICMP ECHO sent to my network as malicious, and publish a
    public list of anyone who has pinged my network? I'm pretty sure that if I
    made all of my webserver logs public it would be considered extremely
    unethical (if not illegal), so why would publishing a subset that I dub
    malicious be any different.

    PPS: It is my opinion that if you do proceed with your project, and
    accumulate a large list of hosts that have sent out the evil GET request,
    then you should also make public the IP's of everyone that has browsed that
    list. Suppose one of my hosts were in that list. If you had done what I
    would consider the 'right' thing, and alerted myself and possibly my
    upstream provider, then I believe that I have every right to know exactly
    who you've sent the alerts to. I feel the same should hold if you post my
    information to a list. Either that, or you should require the administrators
    consent before their information is published to the list, and you should
    properly inform them that their information will be made public and they
    will not be privy to who has been given their information. This is just my
    opinion on the matter though.