RE: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Seymour, Keith (KESeymourat_private)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 10:18:51 PDT

    Steve,

    It was done almost immediately, those infected hosts are wide open to be
    used - or patched. The consensus then was a worm is a worm, and by any other
    name it will still get you jail time.

    "On September 1, someone posted to BugTraq the code to Code Green. The code,
    which ostensibly fixes systems that are still infected with the Code Red
    virus, was left for users to assemble and use--if they wanted. The author,
    Herbert HexXer, added the following: "I will not take responsibility for any
    damage that might be caused by this code. Be sure to have understood the
    code and it's [sic] purpose before beginning to play with it." Another post
    included the code for CRclean, which was deliberately broken by its author,
    Markus Kern. Both were intended to force the issue: either you patch your
    system, or I will find a way to do it for you. "

    Quote from this article -

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-504040.html?legacy=zdnn