Re: Evolution of Cross-Site Scripting Attacks

From: David Endler (dendlerat_private)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 11:44:48 PDT

    > Great ! This article is a very good explanation of how to
    > set-up an attack against web apps by using XSS.

    Thanks :-) It was inspired in part by the fact that so many users,
    but more important vendors, don't seems to have a clear grasp of
    what XSS is and how it affects their sites.

    >However, it is not really a "prediction" of a new type of attack:
    >several people (including me ;) have pointed out in the past on
    this mailing-list that

    I agree, I tried to make that subtle distinction in the paper but
    perhaps it didn't come across: I wasn't trying to predict automated
    XSS attacks (which have been demonstrated before by others
    including you), but instead predict it would start happening more
    and more.  The main point was to grab people's attention to
    increase awareness ahead of time.

    -dave