RE: Online Games Consoles and Security Implications

From: Evans, TJ (tjevansat_private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 02:57:31 PDT

    Not to step into an area that I know little about <xbox security>; but I
    think " If Microsoft could secure a game console running Win2K you'd imagine
    Win2K and XP would be a lot more secure then they appear to be." Is
    something of a logical fallacy.

    Keep in mind - we are talking about separate worlds here - a game console is
    something that, for the most part, need to perform *ONE SET OF FUNCTIONS*.
    Making hardware, software and peripherals work together in a secure, FAST
    fashion when you only need to do 1 set of functions, and when user tinkering
    is <by default> limited/non-existent (not counting those of you who crack
    the case open and really get into them :)> is *nowehere* near as difficult
    as trying to make an OS/platform that needs to support thousands of pieces
    of 3rd party software, hardware and has users breaking it in countless
    unimaginable ways ...

    </$.02>
    Thanks!
    TJ