Online Games Consoles and Security Implications

From: John_Leitchat_private
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 01:23:11 PDT

    Hi.
    A strange but interesting thread maybe.......
    With the advent of online consoles such as the XBOX (microsofts own so I
    guess security could be a little weak, my own thoughts BTW) and the PS2.
    What issues are unleashed that could have or cause massive security
    implications for the home user.
    For instance:
    XBOX / PS2 can be connected to a home LAN for access or they could be
    directly connected via the broadband connectors.  I am sure there are no
    built in security features for either platform.
    Question:
    Could the devices be used in anyway that could allow an attacker to
    a)	Crash said device
    b)	Use device as a lever to interact between network devices
    c)	Any other nefarious actions

    Having not had the chance to PEN-TEST any of these as of yet I was wondering
    what the online security groups thought of this.
    FYI:  The Microsoft XBOX HAS BEEN hacked via a modchip (modchip allows
    playback of CDR DVDR and all region DVD flicks)
    The PS2 has had the same mod issues as above (only it took longer than the 4
    weeks to hack the XBOX)
    Thanks
    /John Leitch