Re: OT? Are chroots immune to buffer overflows?

From: Kalle Andersson (kanat_private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 00:23:06 PDT

    Of course can buffer overflows  be done with success, but it will be
    much more difficult.

    Remember, if you are root inside a chroot-jail you are root on the
    machine. You can probably someway trick the server into downloading
    necessary code and files to remount the filesystems into the
    chroot-environment or make connections to other trusted servers etc
    etc....

    FreeBSD Jails are somewhat more secure, you might want to look into
    that.

    --
    Best Regards
    Kalle Andersson