Re: OT? Are chroots immune to buffer overflows?

From: Edwin Groothuis (edwinat_private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 05:53:15 PDT

    On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:48:16PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
    > [note: my question is WRT non-root chrooted jails - we all know about
    > chroot'ing root processes!]
    >
    > Most buffer overflows I've seen attempt to infiltrate the system enough to
    > run /bin/sh. In chroot'ed environments, /bin/sh doesn't (shouldn't!) exist -
    > so they fail.
    >
    > Is it as simple as that? As 99.999% of the system binaries aren't available
    > in the jail, can a buffer overflow ever work?

    A buffer-overflow allows an attacker to execute any piece of code.
    Most of the this it is the running of /bin/sh because it gives the
    attacker the biggest playingfield, but it can be anything.

    For example with a DNS server in a chrooted environment, it can be
    told to unlink the named.conf. Not that the attacker can do anything
    usefull with it then, but it does some damage.

    Edwin

    --
    Edwin Groothuis      |           Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
    edwinat_private    |        Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: