RE: DirectX 9 SDK, Microsoft have got balls....

From: Silcock, Stephen (stephen_silcockat_private)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 16:18:54 PDT

    >What I *do* find intersting is that MS is placing code on your
    >computer that could cause it to NOT FUNCTION and thus cause
    >financial loss, damages to your own intellectual property and
    >other bad things.

    Basically every piece of software (commercial and non-commercial) does this;
    that EULA everyone agrees to without reading it when installing software
    completely absolves the company of any liability if it does.  This is not
    allowed in any other sector; the software industry gets away with it though,
    and this will be hard to change given the amount of money they're willing
    (and able) to give to politicians nowadays.

    Under a free GPL or BSD license I have no problem with it - when I'm paying
    money for a product though I want it to work and if it doesn't I would
    expect the vendor to compensate me.  It won't happen though... imagine being
    able to sue Microsoft if your computer crashed.  The legal system would self
    destruct.

    S.   :)

    PLEASE NOTE:

    This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the
    addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, you must not use,
    disclose or print this transmission and you should delete it from your
    system.