RE: DirectX 9 SDK, Microsoft have got balls....

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 17:24:13 PDT

    On Wed, 29 May 2002, Silcock, Stephen wrote:

    > Under a free GPL or BSD license I have no problem with it - when I'm paying
    > money for a product though I want it to work and if it doesn't I would
    > expect the vendor to compensate me.  It won't happen though... imagine being
    > able to sue Microsoft if your computer crashed.  The legal system would self
    > destruct.

    This won't happen until two things take place;

    folks contact their representatives and ask that they address these issues
    in the legal process, and additionally folks just stop paying for software
    that allows the vnedor to take no responsibility for.  Vendors want cash,
    and don't wnat their CDroms to look like the home stepladder with warning
    tags all over it.

    Take a good look at the wireless mapping projects taking place the past
    few years, then look at the vodors of these toys and trinkets, and
    understand even here much of the issue with open access devices being
    placed in some pretty hairy settings are in a great part due to vendors
    pushing out poor default configurations to their clients.  We are
    wondering here how well clued the fed auditors are going to be to these
    issues when HIPPA comes into full swing.  I have a new paper  on some
    issues related to this soon to be pushed out to demonstrate some of these
    issues in current practise <remember the best buy plaintext thread of a
    few weeks past>.

    But, the main thing is, as long as folks just bitch in these lists and do
    not really take some action on their own to try and change matters, this
    will remain...

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.