RE: wireless woes in the triangle and beyond!

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 12:08:58 PDT

    The person that sent me this info is kept anon here, as I think they
    prefered that.

    It seems that perhaps Best Buy as well as CVS moght not have actually
    turned off the wireless toys, but, rather tuned them down some:

    <quoted from two seperate e-mail on the topic from one person>

    Yes they ARE still up... I just drove by... at 6:37 pm eastern time on
    05/31/02

    The original BestBuy where I found that they were doing plain text is
    ALSO still running wireless even though they claimed to have banned
    them. Maybe they did in your town ... but not in mine

    Kismet says
    Name                    Type    WEP     Channel
    cvsretail                A       N        11

    oh yeah I almost forgot... I have no antenna and I can usually catch em
    about a block up the street... its just rained and its abit humid if
    that makes a difference but this time I had to go RIGHT up by the window
    to get anything and I only got 11 packets. They may have implemented
    omni-directional antennas or something.

    <quote>

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.