Re: Xbox (Was -Online Games Consoles and Security Implications)

From: Robert Freeman (freem100at_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 01:47:21 PDT

    The DMCA does not apply outside of the USA, except for the other provisions which comprise the World Intellectual Property Organization treaties of 1996. Foreign-based persons and companies which violate the DMCA should think twice before entering the US. Being an employee of a firm which violates the DMCA is almost as bad. You can still be held accountable if your employer (company) does not step in.  Foreign-based persons and companies may be pursued in their native countries if there are any legal recourses (even loopholes). I wouldn't be surprised if US Citizens working abroad could be extridited for trial in the US! Anyhow, the penalties are not exactly slaps on the wrist.

    RF