DirectX 9 SDK, Microsoft totally bottled it...

From: anon (anonat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 03:21:27 PDT

    I guess Microsoft bottled it. They released a statement last week saying they advised all users of the beta DX9 to create a restore point / backup before installing the new drivers, and supplied instructions on how to roll back.

    Guess it goes to show no matter who you are, how big you are and if your product is a beta or not, you still can't threaten to disable an end users machine.

    If I get hit by a bus, stuck in Afghanistan or slip into a coma on July 31st, I really don't want to come back on August 2nd with no O/S. Get a grip, Microsoft.

    -anon

    [ who fyi did not warez the sdk but noticed that google has become the ultimate juhares-tool
    http://www.windowsmax.nl/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=522&mode=&order=0&thold=0 ]

    > I've got hold of a copy of the DirectX 9 SDK beta. It comes with the interesting warning:

    > This beta version expires on Aug 20, 2002.
    > You will need to reinstall Windows if you do not
    > have a valid DX9 ID & password to download Beta 2

    This has been going on for a long, long time. The beta for MS-DOS 5 would
    expire and if you didn't upgrade to a release version, the system would be
    unworkable (I seem to remember 'dir' showing up garbage).

    Anarch.