RE: Trillian Messaging Software

From: Richard M. Conlan (conlarat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 15:22:44 PDT

    In regards to the various Trillian posts:

    * If you are concerned about it passing your information to Hotmail,
    disable that feature, as it is an explicit option under Preferences.

    * If you are concerned about how it stores passwords then do not have it
    store your passwords. This really is not as bad as it sounds since most
    people sign on and remain signed on all day, and therefore will only
    have to go through this once.

    * On the other hand, a good point was made about storing the passwords
    in a standard way -- in fact, for most trillion users you would find,
    say yahoo.ini, at:

    C:\Program Files\Trillian\users\default\yahoo.ini

    This occurs because during Trillian setup it suggests you leave the user
    profile as "default" unless multiple users will be using Trillian.

    * It DOES offer encryption between Trillian users, but only over the ICQ
    and AOLIM service. It uses Blowfish encryption.

    I have used Trillian for some time now, and think it is an excellent
    program. I highly recommend it, and present the above points to contest
    some of the objections that have been raised.

    ~Richard M. Conlan