Re: internet explorer view-source url

From: Juan M. Courcoul (courcoulat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 15:37:35 PDT

    hellNbak wrote

    > On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, John C. Hennessy wrote:
    >
    >>Perhaps its just me but I see this as a potential problem. From what I can
    >>tell all versions of internet explorer 4 and above allow view-source urls.
    >>
    >>view-source:http://www.news.com
    >
    > I think it might be just you as doing a view-source:///boot.ini will show
    > you the LOCAL boot.ini.  So, if I was a malicous web master, unless I can
    > get some sort of code to execute this doesn't help me all that much.

    Tried both formats for the view-source URLs with the following results:

    Windows 2000 Professional SP2+all current patches
    Internet Explorer 5.50.4807.2300
        view-source:http:... works, sort of. Page gets fetched, and displayed
                             using Notepad, not the main browser window.

        view-source:///local file  does not work. Nothing is ever displayed.

    MacOS X 10.1.5+all current patches
    Internet Explorer for X 5.1.4 (4415.2)
        view-source: any format. "Error: this program does not support the
                                 protocol for accessing 'view-source:'.

    HTH,

    JMC