Re: internet explorer view-source url

From: Juan M. Courcoul (courcoulat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 15:43:43 PDT

    Juan M. Courcoul wrote:

    > hellNbak wrote
    >> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, John C. Hennessy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps its just me but I see this as a potential problem. From what
    >>> I can
    >>> tell all versions of internet explorer 4 and above allow view-source
    >>> urls.
    >>>
    >>> view-source:http://www.news.com
    >>
    >> I think it might be just you as doing a view-source:///boot.ini will
    >> show you the LOCAL boot.ini.  So, if I was a malicous web master,
    >> unless I can get some sort of code to execute this doesn't help me all
    >> that much.
    >
    > Tried both formats for the view-source URLs with the following results:
    >
    > Windows 2000 Professional SP2+all current patches
    > Internet Explorer 5.50.4807.2300
    >    view-source:http:... works, sort of. Page gets fetched, and displayed
    >                         using Notepad, not the main browser window.
    >
    >    view-source:///local file  does not work. Nothing is ever displayed.

    Several co-subscribers have kindly pointed out that the proper format is:

        view-source:file://c:/temp/somefile.txt

    This does work, sometimes. On my machine, this gets the file opened in
    the preferred application for that suffix (Notepad in this case) iff the
    file is visible and you have appropiate permissions. Now if we could get
    COMMAND.COM (Win9x) or its Win2k kindred to open an executable, THEN we
    could have some wicked fun, else like hellNback pointed out, it's just a
    mildly interesting bit of IE trivia.

    JMC