Tools for Wireless fun stuff- detection from the wired side

From: Russell Handorf (rhandorfat_private-world.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 16:24:22 PDT

    Good news, well, kinda :)

    2 weeks ago I started writing such an app in my copius time. It's now
    available for pre-beta release. It's really crummy code, but it compiles.

    So far it'll only detect 3 wireless products... DLink DWL1000AP, DLink CF
    Wireless Nic, and Lucent Orinocco wireless nic. All I have to do is hard code
    the other mac addys into it for detection of other devices.

    For those souls who are brave enough to test it,

    http://www.russells-world.com/sniffer-final.c

    The way it works is in a passive mode by sniffing ARP packets. I'm thinking of
    making an active method to it (flooding the network with ARP packets, forcing
    the devices to respond) and other methodologies (some of my friends have
    mentioned SNMP :=/).

    Have fun, download, and test. Assistance in completion, cleaning up will be
    appreciated.

    You'll need Linux and pcap libs.

    Sincerely,

    Russ