Re: Java and buffer overflows

From: Nelson Sampaio Araujo Junior (nelsonat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 17:40:33 PDT

    Hi,

    > I heard thatt java is  invulnerable to bofs
    > Has anyone succefully exploited a bof in java ?

    Please notice that buffer overflow is only one way of software exploitation.
    Generalizing the concept, any procedure that makes a software work badly,
    and if possible be directed to do something you want (and obviously not
    authorized), can be considered exploitation.

    Please does not sit down and relax just because Java should not have buffer
    overflows. There are inifinite ways of directing a software to do something
    bad or not expected, and once more, buffer overflows (or overruns if you
    prefer) is *just* one option.

    Regards,

    Nelson Junior
    nelsonat_private