Re: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: Timothy J.Miller (cerebusat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 13:27:22 PDT

    On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 08:20 PM, Nick Lange wrote:

    >  I would suggest taking this up with the developers of X and Xlock,

    I wouldn't.  Mr. Zanatta is misunderstanding the purpose of xlock and
    the design of X11.  In this case, the Zap keystroke combination is *not*
    passed to the application holding focus (xlock) unless it is disabled in
    the X11 configuration.  IOW, X11 gets the event first, and xlock
    cannot-- in the normal course of Xevent flow-- supersede it.

    Secondly, xlock is not intended to prevent the system from being used by
    another session; it simply locks the given X session.

    I would suggest that the flaw here is invoking X from the command shell,
    not any flaw in X11 or xlock.  Instead, the user should be using XDM or
    any of its clones.

    IIRC this (and its consequences) is all detailed in both the X11 docs
    and xlock docs.

    -- Cerebus