Re: FW: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: Michael Jennings (mejat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 15:21:38 PDT

    On Saturday, 29 June 2002, at 16:38:03 (-0700),
    Nick Lange wrote:

    > Which once again leads us back to a point that perhaps more people
    > would agree with, the option should *not* be enabled by default
    > precisely for the annoyance/information loss factor. First off, any
    > user can kill off any other user's session (provided they have
    > access to the hardware running the session) which can lead to
    > potential data loss for any running applications.  This could be
    > done out of malice, etc.

    If we're talking about Ctrl-Alt-Backspace killing an X session on
    XFree86 started by startx or the like, then we're talking about an X
    session running on the main console of a system.  Given that fact,
    said malicious user could just as easily power off the system.  Or
    unplug it.  Or any number of other actions allowed by physical access
    to a workstation/server.

    This all gets back to the "security of a system to which an attacker
    has physical access" thread that has been hashed out many times
    before.  I suggest dropping this silliness and consulting a mailing
    list archive near you.

    If a user starts X using startx and fails to employ the "exec"
    technique mentioned earlier, this user should not walk away from
    his/her terminal.  If this user does so, this user is an idiot.  The
    Zap key sequence is a good feature, and the rest of us should not be
    made to suffer on account of the idiocy of the few.

    Michael

    --
    Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mejat_private>
    n+1, Inc., http://www.nplus1.net/         Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)