Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 00:20:01 PDT

    > Is there any point in needing to be root in order to allocate the low
    ports
    > on unix-like systems, anymore?  Could we get away from having to have some
    > daemons even have a root stub in order to listen on a low port?  What
    would
    > break, and what new holes would be created?  Could some sort of port ACL
    > simply be used that says a particular UID can allocate a particular range
    > of ports?

    Well. Let's say you don't need to be root anymore.

    Hey look at me, I'm the webserver! Or the email server, or the ftp server.
    or the NFS server.......

    If I can down a service (remote/local DoS), or wait for it to be restarted
    (like to reload configuration or some other automated interuption) I can be
    that service. Kind of scary IMHO.

    Now if you're talking about assigning a UID or GID to "own" the port that's
    a different story, however I fear people doing well intentioned, but stupid
    things like assigning it to "nobody". This capability already exists in many
    systems, Argus Pitbull (for Solaris) and Pitbull LX (for Linux), NSA
    SELinux, and so on.

    Personally I like Solaris' ability to assign high ports to require root,
    this is nice for NFS (2049) and other related systems (has to run as root
    anyways, well unless you got some really crazy user-daemon nfs =).

    Plus with privilege seperation (OpenSSH, Postfix, Apache, etc.) there is
    very little to worry about in most cases, done properly these things are not
    terribly dangerous (ok, ignoring last week ....=).

    I wrote an article about this ages ago, but cannot find it, and of course
    securityportal.com is no more, ohwell.

    > Discuss.
    >
    > BB

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private