Re: Ports 0-1023?

Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 00:55:03 PDT

    Blue Boar said:
    > Is there any point in needing to be root in order to allocate the
    > low ports  on unix-like systems, anymore?  Could we get away from
    > having to have some  daemons even have a root stub in order to
    > listen on a low port?  What would  break, and what new holes would
    > be created?  Could some sort of port ACL  simply be used that says
    > a particular UID can allocate a particular range  of ports?

    depends on the service.  i use linux's transparent proxy support
    for running some services above 1024 that otherwise like to
    be under 1024. services that do system authentication may be
    more difficult to run above 1024 as non root. but services like
    openldap, and real server(when i was test driving it), ran fine
    as non root on high ports.

    i usually add 1000 to the ports, so for LDAP it uses 389, so
    i have it bind to 3890, for LDAP/SSL it uses 636 so i have it
    bind to 6360..

    works perfectly, except i cannot connect to the proxied port
    from the machine itself.

    I have used transparent proxy on ipf too, or was it ipfw..
    its been a while.

    nate

    --
    Nate Amsden