Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Bruno Morisson (morissonat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 10:54:05 PDT

    It's not an issue if you can setuid() to an unprivileged uid. Usually
    you have to start as root, and change to some other user, why not do the
    same, but starting as some "privileged" user ?
    Example, uid 80 can bind to tcp port 80. You start the httpd as that
    user, and drop privileges by setting your uid to nobody (or apache, or
    whatever). If the user exploits the daemon, it will be uid nobody (or
    whatever), and in the worst case scenario, he will have uid 80, and
    never uid 0.

    I'm implementing a linux kernel module with this funcionality (and a few
    more), which will be released as soon as it is "beta" quality :)

    regards,
    Bruno Morisson <morissonat_private>