Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Thomas Cannon (tcannonat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 18:35:56 PDT

    Hi Charles, folks.

    > privilege seperation using the Linux capabilities. And why not hack
    > something up so we can give an attribute to a suid that allows it to
    > just change the system time or this sort of thing.

    That's actually a work in progress. Systrace, from Neils Provos, is a
    kernel-level modification that's already part of OpenBSD that monitors
    running programs and allows an administrator to define what (and what not)
    the program is allowed to do, at the syscall level. So, as in your
    example, you could set a policy for 'date' that allows access to read and
    set the system time, and that only. So, even if someone had found a way to
    subvert 'date' into reading the password file, the exploit would fail as
    that wouldn't be something specifically allowed by systrace. The real
    benefit is in 3rd party applications. For instance, if there was a hole
    found in apache that allowed an attacker to execute code on your server,
    the exploit would fail, as the only thing apache would be allowed to do is
    bund to port 80, fork children, and serve files from $webroot. If it tried
    to execute /bin/sh, it would be denied. Same as if you ran a backdoored
    program, like a trojaned './configure' script -- it'd alert you that
    something fishy was going on and you could stop it before it did any
    damage.

    http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/systrace/

    -tcannon