RE: Google lists vulnerable sites.

From: Bryan Allerdice (bryanat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 20:30:19 PDT

    I don't have an answer to the responsiveness question, but I do have a piece
    of advice that unfortunately is like shutting the gate after the horse has
    bolted, but by putting this tag in a page, you tell Google not to cache...

    <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">

    Back to business though, think about other places where cached content can
    be found, like archive.org. You can't go asking archive.org for all sites
    containing x and y and z, but it's still a useful tool. I use archive.org as
    part of my "background investigation stage" when I do security analysis
    jobs. Sometimes you find that in the early days of a company, they put stuff
    on their site that they wish they never did because they weren't aware of
    the dangers at the time.

    For instance, I was doing a job for a financial services company once, and
    they'd published their banking details on their site for a few weeks a year
    prior. Other similar companies were getting ripped off because they too were
    publishing the same kind of info, so they thought they'd be smart and clean
    their site up before the crims got around to them. A year later and they
    still hadn't been hit like the others, so they assumed they were safe. When
    I found the info and asked them if it was still valid, they were rather
    shocked. Incidentally the details were still valid.

    Even if the archive.org doesn't turn up extreme examples like in my example,
    you still get value out of familiarizing yourself with the site as it grows.
    Perhaps you are trying to talk your way past someone in the company, social
    engineering job. The more background you know, the more little things you
    can throw into a conversation, the easier it is to appear like you belong.

    I wonder if we could come up with as complete a list as possible of places
    someone would have to go to remove sensitive info?

    - google.com
    - archive.org
    - add some more...

    BRYAN ALLERDICE