Re: [7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement

From: rshat_private
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 06:46:16 PDT

    Of course, none of you address what happens if the system is located outside
    the US, where US legislation does NOT apply.  What if someone in southern
    Manitoba subscribes to COX since it is their closest IPS?  There are houses
    and communities that are literally split by the border.  Could COX enforce
    those rules on their Canadian client?  Should be an interesting case, if it
    happened.

    rsh

    On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:28:05 -0400, you wrote:

    >> Dear Customer,
    >>
    >> We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have
    >received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet
    >service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a
    >complainant's members.  I have enclosed a copy of the complaint letter.
    >Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"),
    >which is codified at 17 U.S.C. § 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox
    >is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the
    >infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright
    >infringement.  Accordingly, Cox will suspend your account and disable your
    >connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if
    >the offending material is not removed.

    R.S. (Bob) Heuman       -       Toronto, ON, Canada
    <rshat_private>     or       <rheumanat_private>
                      Copyright retained.
                 My opinions - no one elses...
     If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!